Teach Children to Save: DIY Milk Jug Piggy Bank
In honor of April as Financial Literacy Month, and April 28 as Teach Children to Save Day, LifeStore Bank is encouraging young savers with a fun, unique project: DIY Milk Jug Piggy Bank!
Follow the instructions below with your child to make your very own Milk Jug Piggy Bank and start saving today!
What You Will Need:
- 1 clean, dry, plastic milk jug (gallon or half gallon work best)
- Cardboard egg carton
- Pink spray paint (or any color you want your piggy to be)
- Construction paper (pink and white for a more traditional piggy or any color combination you'd like)
- Black permanent marker
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaner
- Craft kinfe (adult supervison)
- Hot glue gun and/or school glue (adult supervision)
- Glue stick
- Embellishments of your choosing such as feathers or stickers
- Clean the milk jug and remove lables with warm soapy water. Allow to dry completely.
- Using a craft knife, cut a slot on the top of the pig's back just big enough to insert coins and bills.
- Using scissors, cut out four egg cups from an egg carton, leaving one side higher than the other. These will be used as the feet.
- Glue the feet to the opposite side of the milk jug handle. Allow to dry completely.
- In a well-ventilated space (outdoors is best), spray paint the entire milk jug and feet. Allow to dry completely.
- Using scissors, cut out ears from the construction paper.
- Glue the smaller pink ears onto the larger white ears. Allow to dry completely.
- Glue the ears to the pig. Allow to dry completely.
- Glue the googly eyes on either side of the handle. Allow to dry completely.
- Using a permanent marker, draw eyebrows, add nose holes on the cap, and a mouth underneath the cap.
- Wrap the pipe cleaner around your finger a few times to create the tail.
- Glue the tail to the back of the pig.
- At this point, add whatever fun elements you would like to make your piggy as unique as you!